Z-Wave Shades – Zipato Micromodule Motor Controller with Wink
Looking to control some shades with Z-Wave? Worthington Distribution has a solution using a Somfy standard, 4-wire, AC motor with Zipato’s Micromodule Motor Controller. This article will walk you through the shade installation as well as how to add the shade to your Wink hub.
- Somfy-powered shade using a standard, 4-wire, AC motor
- Zipato Micromodule motor controller, SKU ZIPPHPAN08US
- Wink hub
Pre-wiring recommendations –
It’s recommended that you have your electrician run an AC wire to the left side of the window. Although a bare wire with wire nuts can be used, to pass inspection, the electrician will likely need to terminate the AC line. If there’s no room for a standard outlet, your electrician can install a Sillites self-contained receptacle, SILSCRW.
Install the shade per the fabricator’s instructions. Be sure that the shade is level to avoid any issues with the fabric “telescoping.”
Install the Zipato Micromodule Motor Controller, following the diagram below:
Please note: Z-Wave is an RF communication. If your shade has a metal fascia or a cassette, make sure that the antenna of the micromodule is outside of the metal to ensure optimal Z-Wave communication.
Perform the following steps to learn the micromodule into your Fibaro hub:
- Open the Wink app.
- Swipe to the left menu and tap on “+ Add a Product.”.
- Tap Lighting, Blinds, and then Generic Z-Wave Shade.
- Tap Next, Next, Next, and then Connect Now.
- When you see “Wink hub 2 is Ready” and there is a circle on the screen, apply power to the micromodule. It should learn into your Wink hub.1
- Name the device and tap “Done.”
- Give the module approximately 60 seconds to complete provisioning before proceeding.
- Click on Open or Close to ensure that the shade moves in the correct direction.2 Also, make sure that the shade stops at the correct upper and lower limits.3
1 If the micromodule has already been powered or was part of a previous Z-Wave network, you will need to perform an exclusion with the Wink hub. Swipe to the left menu and tap on Hubs. Then swipe to the right menu and select your Wink hub. Tap on Z-Wave Controls and then Exclusion Mode. While the light on the wink hu is blinking, quickly press the button on the micromodule three times. You will then need to press the button on the micromodule three times while on step 5 of these instructions.
2 If the shade runs in reverse, power down the micromodule and swap the red and black wires coming from the motor. Make sure to re-apply power once the wires have been swapped.
3 If the limits need to be adjusted, refer to the shade fabricator’s or the motor manufacturer’s instructions.
Once you’re certain that the directions and limits are correct, you will need to calibrate the micromodule to the shade. To do so, press and hold the button on the micromodule for 3-5 seconds and then release it. The shade will move up and down several times so that the module can learn its upper and lower limits.
Repeat these steps for any additional shades and micromodules you would like to control.
You will now have full control of the shade with your Z-Wave controller. To confirm, press Open, Close, or move to % to verify that the treatment now moves to this position.