Adding Somfy RTS Treatments to a Z-Wave Network
Z-Wave is one of the most popular solutions for home automation. Likewise, RTS (Radio Technology Somfy) is Somfy’s most popular control option for their motorization products. There’s a simple-to-use Z-Wave to RTS Interface (ZRTSI 2) which can be used to marry the two technologies together to provide you with window treatment control from your Z-Wave gateway. The Somfy ZRTSI 2 allows you to control up to 16 RTS channels and each RTS channel can control a single treatment or a group of treatments. Because it plus into an outlet, the ZRTSI acts as a line-powered, routing device within your Z-Wave network.
- RTS-controlled motorized treatment(s)
- The remote control for the existing RTS-controlled treatment(s)
- Somfy ZRTSI 2, model 1811265
*** NOTE: This article is written with the assumption that there is an existing RTS-controlled treatment or treatments which are already set-up and operating from a Somfy remote control. It also assumes that there is a compatible Z-Wave gateway controller. ***
First, you will need to include the ZRTSI to your Z-Wave network.
- Plug the ZRTSI into a standard AC electrical outlet. Press the Select button to illuminate the LCD Screen. The LCD Screen should display “SOMFY” and neither system indicator should be visible. This means the ZRTSI is at factory default settings and ready to be configured.
NOTE: If the “Z” system indicator is present, the ZRTSI has previously been configured. You will need to restore the ZRTSI to factory default before it can be included into your Z-Wave network. See the instructions at the end of the Procedure section.
- From the ZRTSI's Home Screen, navigate to the Base Node Include screen.
- Enable Inclusion Mode on the Primary Z-Wave Controller.
- On the ZRTSI, Activate the “Base Node Include” command by pressing the Select Button.
- The LCD Screen will display “BASE NODE INCLUDING” then either “BASE INCLUDE SUCCESS!” or “BASE INCLUDE FAIL” and return to the Base Node Sub Menu.
NOTE: If “BASE INCLUDE FAIL” appears, retry inclusion following steps 2 through 4. If that is unsuccessful, restore the ZRTSI to factory default by following the steps at the end of the Procedure section.
Once the ZRTSI is included in your Z-Wave network the “Z” indicator will appear in the lower-right of the ZRTSI’s LCD screen during normal operation and the Base Node Include option will disappear from the Base Node Sub Menu.
Next, you will need to add “virtual nodes” to your Z-Wave network. The virtual node numbers, 1-16, on the ZRTSI correspond directly to the RTS channel outputs on the device.
- From the ZRTSI's Home Screen, navigate to the Virtual Node Inclusion Selection Menu.
- Enable the Inclusion Mode on the Primary Z-Wave Controller.
- On the ZRTSI, navigate to the Virtual Node to be included. Briefly press and release the Select button. The LCD Screen will display “VIRTUAL NODE INCLUDING” and then either “Vxx INCLUDE SUCCESS!” or “Vxx INCLUDE FAIL” (where xx = 01 through 16).
NOTE: If “Vxx INCLUDE FAIL” appears, retry inclusion following steps 1 through 3. If inclusion is still unsuccessful, move the ZRTSI closer to the Primary Z-Wave Controller.
- Follow the Primary Z-Wave Controller manufacturer's instructions regarding naming and organization of new devices.
- Once the Virtual Node has been successfully included, the ZRTSI will automatically return to the Virtual Node Inclusion Selection Menu. The next available Virtual Node will appear at the top of the list.
- Repeat steps 2 through 4 until all desired Virtual Nodes have been successfully included.
Once a Virtual Node has been included into a Z-Wave network, an asterisk (*) will appear next to the corresponding RTS Channel in the RTS Channel Programming Selection Menu. In addition, the Virtual Node will no longer appear in the Virtual Node Inclusion Selection Menu.
Finally, you will need to “copy/paste” the channel information from the channels of your handheld remote into the channels of the ZRTSI.
- From the ZRTSI's Home Screen, navigate to the RTS Channel Selection Menu.
- Select the channel you use to control the desired shade on your RTS remote control. Flip the remote over and then press and hold the recessed programming button until the product jogs. This “copies” the channel.
- On the ZRTSI, select the RTS Channel to be programmed (Somfy recommends beginning with RTS Chan 1). Then, press and hold the Select Button until the motorized product jogs again. This indicates that you’ve “pasted” the channel to the ZRTSI. While the Select Button is being held, a blinking “S” will appear to indicate RTS signal transmission.
- Repeat steps 2 through 4 until all RTS motorized products have been programmed, remembering each time to select the next available RTS channel on the ZRTSI, up to 16.
NOTE: For Group Programming, do not select another RTS channel on the ZRTSI. Repeat RTS programming steps for each individual motorized product to include in the same group, and then select the next available channel on the ZRTSI as needed.
Restoring the ZRTSI to Factory Default
NOTE: This will reset the Z-Wave programming only. RTS programming is not affected.
- From the ZRTSI's Home Screen, navigate to the Z-Wave Reset Sub Menu.
- Select “PROCEED WITH Z-WAVE RESET”.
- When “ARE YOU SURE?” appears, press and hold the Select Button until either “Z-WAVE RESET SUCCESS!” or “Z-WAVE RESET FAIL” appears and then release. While pressing the Select Button, before the success or fail message appears, “Z-WAVE RESETTING” will appear on the screen.
- If “Z-WAVE RESET FAIL” appears, retry restoring to factory default following steps 1 through 3.
- Navigate back to the Home Screen. The “Z” system indicator will disappear from the lower right hand corner of the screen, indicating the Base Node is not included in any Z-Wave Network.
Your Somfy RTS treatments can now be controlled by your Z-Wave gateway.